CORNHILL SOCIAL HISTORY PROJECT
Bygone Businesses

return to front page

Marshall’s


Marshall’s can be see on the corner of Main Street with Knowe Head.(now Marshall Mews)
The village school can be seen to the left off Knowe Head.© R. Johnson & Son


The sign reads “J.W. Marshall
something
Cycle Repairs,
Motor for Hire”
Marshall’s used to be the blacksmith’s



The blacksmith at work



The site of the now derelict Marshall’s petrol station
The Berwick Advertiser printed these photos and reported on this on 15th February 2001
Residents were concerned about the state of the site in the centre of the village.
In August 2006, the site was cleared and new houses built, (as shown in the photo below).



View of what used to be Marshall’s, taken on 19th June 2019

up to top

Moffat’s


F & F Moffat, haulier, used to be where Rickerby’s yard is today

up to top

Post Office 1897

Postmistress - Miss Isabella Palmer
Letters from the south arrived on the 9.30 train
Or from Kelso at 10.00
Postbox was cleared at 9.00, 9.50, 13.00, 19.15

up to top