CORNHILL SOCIAL HISTORY PROJECT
The following letter of 1868 explains the building of the extension. A transcript of the letter is below the copies.
Thanks to Jean Graham for this information
This school was erected in 1837 at a total cost of about £130. It is at the present time (Sept. 1868) being considerably enlarged and improved. The building as at first erected would accommodate about 60 children but the attendance having increased of late to about 100, the present enlargement was enforced by the parish Council.
The schoolroom has been extended upwards of 16 feet the roof improved and strengthened, the whole building ceiled and spouted and the floor re-laid, the windows re-glazed, new conveniences built and the whole school premises (two yards of additional ground to the S. having been given by J. Collingwood Esq. ) enclosed by a wall.
The sum required (about £200) was raised by subscription, through the exertions of the Vicar the Rev. S.A. Tyler. Contractors - Briggs Norham - Mason work. Brownlees Cornhill - Joinery work. Hogarth - Painter. Turner - Slater. Whitehead - Plasterer. Oliver - Plumber and Glazier, under the superintendence of Jolm Howison - Architect.
The whole of the improvements have been executed during the usual Harvest holidays (6 weeks).
The undersigned being the first Certificated Master who has had charge of the School, was appointed in January 1860 in which year a Teacher's residence was built adjoining the School.
May this School continue to prosper.
Signed Robt. Hardy
Sept. 19th 1868.
These are the plans of 1868 for the extension to Cornhill First School
Barring out day from Mike Middlemiss
“From probably earlier than 1920s to 1954 on one day each year, all pupils went to school early. Desks were put behind doors so entry was blocked when teacher arrived so they were barred out.
This was an annual tradition and in Mr Cunningham’s time he played along knocking on doors and windows asking to be let in. He would do this at 9 o‘clock, go home to the school house for an hour then go around knocking again, all in good spirit. Late morning the barriers would be moved and lessons resumed.
However in 1954 in Miss Larson’s first year of being barred, she was not amused as no-one had notified her of the tradition. She went berserk, threatened us with the cane, shouted that if she was not let in police would be called and school trips, sports and the Christmas Party would all be cancelled. She was allowed in and the background of the history was explained to her. She eventually accepted the situation, pupils were forgiven but that sadly that was the end of a long-standing tradition.
It is not known if barring out was unique to Cornhill School or did other local schools have the same tradition?”
In the 1965, the school was moved across the road to the current site where a timber building was erected. It was known locally as ‘The Chocolate Box’ because much of the exterior was painted dark brown and white. Apparently, it leaked from week one! It was demolished in July 1993. The current school building was opened in July 1993 but closed in July 2012.
Inter-schools sport, 1964