Cornhill Social History

CORNHILL SOCIAL HISTORY PROJECT
Buildings

return to front page

The Collingwood Arms

The Collingwood Arms takes its name from the local merchant family which owned it up until 1955. There are strong ties with Northumberland’s 19th Century naval hero, Vice Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood, who served under Nelson around the time the hotel was built. In fact the hotel’s fifteen bedrooms take their names from the 15 ships in Collingwood’s division at the Battle of Trafalgar.
In 2007, the Collingwood Arms Hotel received a 21st century makeover. Award-winning architects collaborated with historians and local craftsmen who worked inside and out, to refurbish and re-instate period details, restoring this Grade II Listed Georgian building to its glorious best.

Photos of the Collingwood Arms Hotel


Similar view taken 19th June 2019


The remains of a WW1 shell can be seen to the right of the roundabout
The railings and shell were removed for the war effort.


Similar view taken 19th June 2019


The colourful sign depicts Vice Admiral Cuthbert Collngwood


Similar view taken 19th June 2019


 


 


Garden at the Collingwood Arms c.1960s?


Sitting room at the Collingwood Arms c.1970s?


Dining room at the Collingwood Arms c.1970s?


Dining room at the Collingwood Arms c.1970s?


Bar at the Collingwood Arms c.1970s?


Betty Cessford (Niven) at the Collingwood


Betty Cessford (Niven) and Dickie (Mrs. Dixon from Tillmouth) at the Collingwood


Beer mat - date?

up to top